Sunday, August 28, 2005


Now, usually I'm partial to durians. The pong irritates me. The after effects of durian gorging almost always leaves me wondering why I don't have better self control. And so, it was with some trepidation that I accepted this invitation to a durian feast.

We set ourselves off in good time. The drive was uneventful save for the sudden 90 degree turn I did to save ourselves the bother of having to loop around further on. A lucky save I should think. We arrived in good time. The crowd was already gathering and the festive mood infected me quite a bit.

I negotiated my car and parked it under the tree. A kind soul persuaded me to move. 20 minutes later, we heard a large plopping sound. And there sat a durian, at the very spot where my car was parked earlier. I wonder whether insurance would have covered the large dent had the durian succeeded in leaving its mark on my car.

We ate for 15 people. It was only after our tummies felt full and we had reached that comfortable complacent state that we began to look around a bit. Nothing like sharing durians to forge a bond.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I wonder what a durian is?

edina monsoon said...

A durian pronounced "do-ryen" is a local fruit. The smell is an aquired taste.