Sunday, January 15, 2006

Looks beautiful, tastes divine

I plucked this picture out of my picasa collection two minutes ago. It's a lovely saturday afternoon. The big storm has subsided leaving us with deliciously fresh air. A rarity in KL. This delectable dessert is one not many would turn down. Sago gula melaka...unless somebody out there has a different name for it. Imagine for one minute this scenario, Soft fresh breeze blowing, you sitting in the veranda ...and on the table this very concoction for you to savour at your own pace. Background music...Enya's Orinoco Flow.

A breath of fresh air, to blow away the cobwebs of 2005.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

The Aunt said...

Oh how I love milk puddings. They are woefully out of fashion in Europe at the moment, having been replaced by poncy tiny bits of cake with passion fruit coulis drizzled about the plate by a manically tidy kitchen goblin.

Bring back milk puddings, I say. Although I do prefer semolina. Less of the frogspawn.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

All right, anyone out there know if "your" sago is "my" tapioca? It looks similar, and Aunty Marianne's description of frogspawn confirms my suspicions; we call it fish eggs or fish eyes.

Anyway, that dessert lookes beautiful, and I found a recipe, but sago is the only thing I don't recognize by name.

edina monsoon said...

aunty marianne: It's coconut milk pudding. I don't like coconut in cakes but in cold pudding it's brill.THis is quite a common dessert although interestingly enough, it's not something that is done well. ( they 're usually stingy with the gula melaka) G. melaka is the brownish liquid you see in this picture. It's especially made in the state of melaka , hence the name. GUla means sugar.

Gnightgirl:Oh dear, oh dear, I'm scratching my head over here trying to figure out whether I've misled you in any way. Lemme think, sago is the clear beads you see floating about in this concoction. It's mixed with coconut milk and you get to pour Gula Melaka into it until you get it just the sweetness that you want. Hence the name Sago gula melaka.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I've done a bit more research, and sago is very close to the same thing as tapioca. At any rate, I believe there's a Malaysian grocer here in town, and I'm going to go pick his brain, and his store, for ingredients!

edina monsoon said...

gnightgirl: excellent. Keep me informed.I should be able to dig up the recipe when I go home. ( Did a spot of homescience in school)