Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A wedding dinner


We travelled a far bit on Sunday for a wedding dinner. Anticipating a couple of wrong turns, we left a full hour and a half before the due time. This proved to be useful when a wrong turn ( not my fault ) took us all the way to One Utama, when in actual fact we were heading more towards Subang Jaya. It is right that weddings be held on Sundays, that way, friends and relatives from far don't have to wade through endless traffic in an attempt to get to the dinner area.


I stuffed myself into last year's cheong sam, which proved snugger than the last time I wore it. I looked decidedly like a sausage with a thick waist and tapering legs ending in my dainty feet. ( I'm a size 4 folks ).Manouvering the arms to drive, I imagined life in the 1900 with us poor women being stuffed into corsets. No wonder they fainted at every little reason.


As if to taunt my already low self esteem, the crowd turned out to be the leanest bunch of women I've seen in some months. the fat ones ( myself included ) were divided into two major groups, the first was the ones who were comfortable in their hefty portions, and the smaller group consisted of us poor sods, trying hard to suck in the tummy and make conversation whilst having evil thoughts of skinny folks who have higher BMR than us.
The picture is of my beaded hand bag....my one accessory for the evening.

10 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Come to the U.S.; if the size tranlations are the same, you are one tiny chickadee in our eyes; my left thigh is bigger than a size 4!

Great purse.

Jimbo said...

Ugh, I bet the 'wrong turn' was a deliberate one (no matter whose fault it was). Afterall, 1-Utama = SHOPPING!!!!!!

edina monsoon said...

gnightgirl: hahaha you ALWAYS know what to say to make me feel better.When I'm braver you shall see the cheong sam and me in it:)

Jimbo: It was NOT!!! ( not consciously at least)

Jimbo said...

Just show us the cheong sam first ya, then we decide if we want to see the rest. Heh heh! :-)

kenju said...

My left ARM is bigger than a size 4. I like your evening bag.

edina monsoon said...

Kenju: thanks...the bag was a last minute attempt to look decent. Borrowed ( with full knowledge ) from my mum.

Unknown said...

Wah... ALL the way to subang jaya kah? Soooooo far away kah? Hehe.

edina monsoon said...

bernard: That's RIGHT. Subang Jaya is a whole world on its own. Apparently..you go along the federal highway until you see the sign "subang jaya"....at which point there's a major decision to be made. We turned right to head towards the old airport..dinner was at saujana.

The Aunt said...

Being a bit of a sausage myself, what I do at weddings is, I find another singleton sausage, and we sit and bitch about what other people are wearing.

Be careful to elicit from fellow singleton sausage whether she has relatives in the room before beginning the bitch, though.

edina monsoon said...

aunty marianne: hahaha thank you for giving me ideas. I'll be armed with this plan of action the next wedding I attend. Beware !!