Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why we need to read labels

Posted by Picasa

Despite a sagging world economy, Malaysians are a defiant bunch collectively. And this same bunch of people was seen (with their extended family) at Ikea last Sunday. How do I know this? Because I made a trip there and waded my way through push-prams, toddlers with sticky fingers, pregnant women ( who took up quite a bit of space) and sulky school-going children dragged reluctantly on this expedition to furniture-land by their parents. Everybody was out to SPEND SPEND SPEND!! I hardly think any other sane person would have bothered heading that direction after seeing the crowds at the entrance.
After a face-to-face meeting with what was to become my sole purchase from Ikea that afternoon, I hurried along ( wasn't that fast...impeded by humans ) and got to the exit. For those of us who are not brain surgeons, looking for stuff ( aisle number and such ) is probably the most complex weekend thing we do. A few minutes later, after developing a torticollis-like posture I gave-up and asked. Only to be told

"Maam, you should have asked the lady upstairs and order there BEFORE heading down here."
"But I'm here now, can't I just get it off you."
"The label says "contact staff for purchase and information" ...ma'aam.
So the tip of the year is " READ THE DAMM LABELS"

No comments: