Thursday, March 11, 2010

Slow going

I'm still reading " The Inheritance" by Nina Bell. Some of you may remember the book as " the-one-left-at-the-mamak-stall". Have just reached chapter 25. There are 40 chapters in total so I'm slightly more than half way. The first chapter which is basically centered around Edward Beaumont's death is an enticing read. But the subsequent chapters need some patience. This is where, I must confess, to chucking the book to one side and reading at least 3-4 books before returning to it. This being Lent, no new story books to amuse self so I decided that the decent thing to do would be to finish the book. I surprised myself by beginning to enjoy the story as I got past what I call the rather boring bits. I wish the story had started revealing things earlier on. For me, the pace starts picking up when Felicity returns to Lorendon. Actions and conversations are full of deeper meanings. And there is the under current of something bad happening. Some deep secret. The danger now is, that I would be disappointed with the "secret". It's happened before. The language and description of the horses and scenery is okay. But Bell's real weapon is the ability to stir feelings. 

No comments: