Saturday, June 05, 2010

He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

This is a lovely romantic poem. It starts of describing this lovely piece of cloth which is embroided with gold and silver. As you read on, you see the description changing to the colours of the sky. The different shades of blue ranging from darkest night to light and in between. This is Yeats describing the heavens. The next few sentences in the poem then becomes significant. This person has already put his dreams and given his best to his sweetheart. He doesn't exaggerate ( like some of us ) and say we give you the heavens and the earth as a declaration of love. This is a simple statement but it means so much. I have given you my dreams :)


I haven't turned soppy. I just like the poem and I feel slightly art farty this Saturday morning. Now back to reality..ie back to boring chores. Have a good weekend. I shall upload some pictures later.





No comments: