Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Donnerbrunnen fountain Vienna

I don't have many pictures because it didnt know it was a landmark until now
Yes I've been a little obsessed about finding names for the numerous shots I took in my speedy walk through Vienna during the ERS. Pretty proud of my legs having walked so fast and far and my camera for directing me to objects of interest. This was taken while walking about the First district in Vienna...which I've since read is where most tourists spend their time. ( Here's an interesting fact, the Vienesse consider an address from the first district to be equivalent with an academic degree or a noble name. ) Can you blame us? There's enough architecture and (ahem) shopping to keep you from wandering far. The fountain itself looks mighty nice but the surrounding wasn't grand. They had car parks and roads so it's sometimes depending on traffic occluded by cars. 
Here are some facts about this fountain:
1. It is actually called Providentiabrunnen ( ya a mouthful I know). The sculptor was Georg Raphael Donner. 
2. It was featured in " Before sunrise" starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.
3. The four figures represent the four main rivers of the Austrian heartlands. The two male ones are those of Upper Austria and the femal ones lower Austria
4. These are actually copies made out of bronze. The orginal figures are housed somewhere else. Very long name I can't remember.

This building caught my eye before the fountain.
This is a supermarket. A bit upmarket I know this from peeking through the glass walls. I didn't go in because what would I do with a piece of raw meat in a hotel I tell you:) I read somewhere that the the locals do not buy in bulk instead they choose to buy daily and have fresh stuff. An interesting thing. I want to practice this...I think. 

3 comments:

cristina ipate said...

Thanks for your obsession with names.:) It is really useful and interesting to read so many facts about a city. And the street photos are nice and clean.

edina monsoon said...

Glad you like the post! Yes I also felt very safe walking at night (in addition to finding the streets nice and clean)

edina monsoon said...

Glad you like the post! Yes I also felt very safe walking at night (in addition to finding the streets nice and clean)