Friday, April 05, 2013

Saigon's General Post Officer

I think ( from googling) this is called Gothic architecture. But there is a strong french influence. ( Yes I made that up) It looks more like a posh railway station. Looks nice doesn't it?It was built by the same person who did the Eiffel Tower in Paris.( Gustave Eiffel) This building is just beside the Notre Dame cathedral. If you stand in front of the cathedral, this building would be to your right. It functions as a post officer. As I entered, I felt transported to back to a different time. It was quiet and cool. The high ceilings were lovely. To the left and right there was a map each of Vietnam. One is called Saigon et ses environs 1892 and lignes telegraphiques du Sud Vietetnam et Cambodge 1936. I took a picture of the map to the right and will post it later.

There is also a shop on each side. ( Which is reasonably priced) In the centre there is a circular counter selling little souvenirs. The floor tiles were nice too. I'm sorry I didnt take a picture of it. Certainly worth a visit. It is opened from 6am to 10pm.

No comments: